Vietnamese culture is different from the American European culture. There are seventy five percent of Buddhist and the rest is the other religion, so we do not have Halloween day in Vietnam. Because I am a catholic, I know there is a ceremony for the dead people on November second annually. It is the day after the saint's day. I can tell you about this.
When I was in Vietnam, I often went to the local cemetery to joy the mass on November 2. I always go with my parents and brothers, sister. We came there to commend ancestors' souls to God and pray for them. My father and my uncles often go to there several days to clean up the tombs and put many vases of flower. After we joy the mass, we stay there and pray for them. We come up every ancestors' tombs also. This day is one of the main mass we have to joy every year. After we come up to pray for our ancestors, we remember them and believe that they will give us peace and happiness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I have never heard of this tradition before. It sounds like a mixture of Catholic tradition and East Asian tradition. It's very interesting.
Post a Comment